COVID19: Virtual Consultations
Widespread rapid deployment of virtual consultations as new models of care in response to the COVID-19 outbreak is taking place.
A number of online resources for setting up and running successful virtual consultations are available:
- Alongside support from designated IT teams within each NHS Trust or Health Board, resources for setting up video consultations include:
- Support and guidance for conducting virtual consultations include:
- The Health Foundation webinar on introducing complex technology and service change to the health system presented by Prof Trish Greenhalgh, Professor of Primary Care Health Sciences at Oxford University here.
- BMJ editorial by Prof Greenhalgh et al on video consultations for COVID-19 here.
- Interview with Prof Greenhalgh by The Health Foundation on virtual consultations in the fight against COVID-19 using a QI mindset here.
- Practical resources for clinicians and patients created by Barts Health NHS Trust here.
- Principles of safe video consulting during COVID-19 published by the Royal College of General Practitioners, NHS England and NHS Improvement here.
Useful resources for healthcare professionals in a paediatric setting are also available:
- Case study of a Health Foundation funded improvement project to introduce telepsychiatry in child and adolescent mental health services at Aneurin Bevan University Health Board here.
- Top tips for running a telephone-based paediatric outpatient clinic from Free Open Access Medical Education supported by the London School of Paediatrics here.
- A recording of the RCPCH webinar ‘remote consultations – opportunities and risks for paediatrics’ available on Compass here.
The accelerated scale-up and spread of virtual consultations at this time may provide proof of concept to increasingly embed these systems in clinical practice.